Tuesday, 14 January 2014

Marmoset renders

Here's my car so far. Its pretty much done now I just need to do the windows. I will also be compiling the game files so i can add them to the main game.

Exterior texturing

For the exterior I baked the normal and ao maps then began straight away with texturing all the chrome pieces. I originally made the car paint red but my supervisor said it would be nice to have one with decals on too like a proper racing car so I gathered some reference for this. As for the decals I added some I saw on my reference and ones that I thought were applicable. The way I unwrapped my car allows me to have deals on both sides without them being inverted. Normally in a racing game decals would be added within the engine so they wouldn't have this issue. I learned this from making a car in and year and finding my decals were inverted so for the cars number I just used 00.

I added a Yokohoma decal as the tyres on my car are that make. The PMC.S decal was hard as my unwrap wasn't perfect so it would be stretched. So I had to recreate the decal and warp it for both sides of the car. The rest of the them were fine I just had a problem with that one. I also noticed one problem where the car has the letter S and I forgot to separate these so one one side of the car it is inverted. Its nothing major but it is quite annoying and for my next car I will make sure I don't have this issue again.

Monday, 13 January 2014

Other Guages + Texturing the interior

In rFactor you can have other gauges that work like the OIL, TEMP and FUEL etc. But I decided just to leave these and save some time so I can start the 2nd car asap. So I just added them to the interior UV's. This is the texture I made for the other gauges. I made the petty much from scratch accept using a template gauges so all he markings were correct.

As for the rest of the interior I baked the AO and normal maps in xNormal as I always do. Then I began texturing in photoshop. I was originally going to sculpt the foam parts on he roll cage for some extra detail but after looking at reference this was unnecessary. Most of the foam in my reference seemed to be attached with cable ties so I added this detail with nDo2. I also decided to add some welds the the rollcage. I did this by creating some overlapping gradient circles that when converted to a normal look like a weld. For the rest of the interior I mainly left it black as the player wont be looking at the back seats or floor so adding detail there is meaningless. 

Here Is what it looked like in the end.