Saturday, 2 November 2013

Blue prints

Today I started work on the front end of the car.
I decided to do the lights and grill first then work from there. This is how I've started modelling other cars before.

I found some blue prints of the car I’m making online. The image is a tad small but it'll do. 

I cropped out each side from the picture I found and saved them as separate images in Photoshop. I setup each side of the blueprints in max on planes. For this to work and line up properly I need to use the orthographic view.

These are the lights I started with, and the grill bits I moved on to after. The grill isn't 100% perfect but I can easily change the proportions down the line.

Friday, 1 November 2013

Brake Disks

This was pretty easy to model and looking back I probably added more detail than was needed. As when the wheels are on you can’t even see most of the disk. 

Here’s the highpoly disk brake I made, I will use the same one on both front and back wheels. I also made some nuts for the wheel. It took some adjustment to get the bolts on the brake disk to fit through the holes in the rim.

Brake calipers  Again I probably added too much detail on these, but will see when it comes to making the lowpoly. I think they turned out great but I find it quite hard to model organic like curves. Here’s a picture of the caliper and what it looks like on the brake and behind the wheel. I will use the same caliper on the rear too just in a different position and maybe a bit smaller.

Thursday, 31 October 2013

Starting to model - Wheels

Firstly I decided to model the wheels for my car. I had already gathered loads of reference which included wheels from the car I’m making. I am using 3dsMax 2014 as this is the modelling program I'm most familiar with.

I decided to start off by modelling the center piece. I modeled one part of it then used array so it was all symmetrical. After this I added some supporting edge loops for the highpoly. Here it is with a turbo smooth modifier. The topology isn't great but it will do for a highpoly bake.

For the next bit I modeled one of these and used array again around the center piece.

Now for the main rim piece, I created a cylinder, deleted the end and started creating the lips. And added some edge loops of course.

Here’s the finished highpoly rim. The car I’m making has rear rims that are deep dish so I will have to make a separate model for that.
All I did was duplicate the front rim and change some of the lips and make the center pieces deeper into the rim. So here’s the finished front a rear rims.

Next I decided to model the tires  From reference it looks like the tire is the same size on both the front a rear rims but it’s stretched out on the rear. So i made two different tiresI've modeled tires before with deep tread but with this tire I wanted road legal slicks. So I won’t need to model the tread. I've decided to add tread detail later in the normal map using Photoshop.


Hello and welcome to my blog for my final year project for Computer Games Art at Teesside University.

I am planning to make a highly detailed vehicle to import into the racing simulator rFactor 2
The vehicle I will be making is he Nissan Skyline 2000 GTR (Hakosuka)
Here are a small few of the reference images I've gathered for the car.