Saturday, 16 November 2013


I decided to add a autometer tachometer to make my car a bit more custom. I got he idea from one of my reference pieces that had one fitted. Here is some of the reference I gathered for it. The gauge also has a shift light fitted which I can hopefully get working in he engine.

And here's the model I made. I turned out pretty great. I placed it where the stock rev meter would be.
I also decided to add a camera into my scene to have a look at what the players view might be like in game.

Friday, 15 November 2013

Steering Wheel & Steering column

Here's the steering wheel I made. I should of put more edges into the model as its going to be a bit tricky making the lowpoly. This bit of the car will be important to get right as it will be right in the middle of the players view. It will also move when turning the car. If i get time I could rig and animate some hands and arms holding the steering wheel which would add some real polish to my project.

And the steering column, This wont need as much detail as it will be obscured by the steering wheel. It was actually quite hard to get a good look at it from reference because the steering wheel was in the way. I also decided to model a key for the ignition. It looks quite blocky at the moment but turbosmooth will fix that.

Thursday, 14 November 2013

Completed dashboard

Continuing with the dash I copied the vent from the left side over to the right. And just extruded the top over to complete the dashboard. It took a few adjustments to get it to fit without clipping through the outer body mesh but its sorted now. Here's a pic with the center console and dashboard in the car.

Wednesday, 13 November 2013


Continuing with the dashboard I started to model the gauges. This is quite a complex shape but I reckon I got it looking like the reference. I used the same technique I used with the air vents. Here’s a pic showing the technique. It worked quite well. I modeled It so when turbosmooth is applied then it smooth’s it all out evenly, as you can see in the lowpoly its quite blocky. I mirrored it over too.

Tuesday, 12 November 2013

Start of Dashboard

This is the start of the dash. For the vent I used a cylinder, placed behind the mesh that was there and used the cut tool and snapped the vertexes to the cylinder. This made the shape I desired for the vent. Again I can’t get the dimensions perfect without any measurements but I’ll try to get it as close as possible. It’s looking good so far.

I will be using the stock interior so stock radio and switches. Here are some of the knobs and switches I made for the radio and heater. 

Sunday, 10 November 2013

Center console

Here’s a few of the reference images I gathered for the interior. I also took some screenshots in Need for Speed Shift which has the car Im making. Pretty much all of the interiors are unique in some way so id like to add my own little touches. 

This is the center console I’ve made, used a lot of reference for this. It is all one object accept for the buttons, gear leaver and handbrake. I plan to sculpt a bit on the leather gear stick cover in mudbox.

Start of interior & roll cage

Now the outer shell is complete I can start making the Interior. I decided to make the interior shell all one piece. I won’t be putting too much detail into the rear seats as you won’t be able to see them. This is the interior so far that has the rear seats, roof, and floor etc.

I started making the roll cage; this was pretty easy, I just used cylinders. I’m going for a full 6-point roll cage so the rear seats will become unusable. Here’s a pic. I plan to add welds in the texture and I will like to make some foam to cover some of the cage that I can sculpt in mudbox.